Obituary of Rev James Clarkson

By Peter Heneghan

Father James Clarkson, former parish priest of St Winefride’s, Bootle, Holy Family, Ince Blundell and St Mary’s, Little Crosby, died on Saturday 2 January aged 89 and in the 56th year of his priesthood.
 
James Clarkson, the son of James and Harriet Clarkson, was born in Wavertree, Liverpool on 9 April 1931. He received his early education at Our Lady’s, Wavertree, St Anne’s, Edge Hill, and Old Swan Technical School. Archbishop Heenan accepted him as a student for the priesthood and he was sent first to Campion House, Osterley before completing his studies at the Beda College, Rome. He was ordained priest at the Basilica of St Paul, Rome on 3 April 1965.
 
Following Ordination he served in several parishes as assistant priest: at St Edward, Wigan; St Paul, West Derby from December 1967; English Martyrs, Litherland from August 1976; and St Austin, Thatto Heath from December 1982. In January 1985 he was asked to take up an appointment as parish priest at St Winefride’s, Bootle. After 15 years of fruitful labour in Bootle he moved in summer 2001 to Holy Family, Ince Blundell as parish priest. In October of the next year he also took on responsibility for the parish of St Mary, Little Crosby.
 
He retired from active ministry in 2006, though he continued to reside at the presbytery at Little Crosby. The following year, however, he took a flat at Ince Blundell Hall where he was cared for by the Sisters and staff for the remainder of his life.
 
His Funeral Mass was celebrated at Holy Family, Ince Blundell on Thursday 14 January at 11.30am, followed by cremation at Thornton Crematorium.