Father Bernard Growney, former Parish Priest of St Teresa, Penwortham and St Raphael, Widnes died on 4 October aged 79.
Bernard Growney was born in Liverpool on 9 August 1931, the son of John and Teresa Growney. He attended All Saints and St Elizabeth’s Schools before studying for the priesthood at Campion House College, Osterley and Ushaw College, Durham. He was ordained in All Saints church, Anfield on 26 July 1959.
His first brief appointment was in August 1959 as Assistant Priest at St Thomas of Canterbury, Waterloo, moving in October 1959 to Our Lady, Star of the Sea, Seaforth. In 1962 he took on the additional responsibility of Chaplain to Crosby and Litherland Cadet Unit. In November 1966 he moved to Our Lady of Reconciliation, Eldon Street and in May 1974 to St Monica, Bootle.
In September 1979 he became Administrator of St Anne’s Parish, Overbury Street and in May 1983 was appointed as Parish Priest of St Teresa, Penwortham. In October 1995 he became Parish Priest of St Raphael, Widnes and in August 1998 he gave up parish responsibility to become Chaplain to the Notre Dame Convent at Parbold.
He retired in 2006 and in retirement lived at Nazareth House, Crosby and Ince Blundell Hall. He died on 4 October 2010. His Funeral Mass was celebrated at Ince Blundell prior to burial at Anfield.