Brother Bertie honoured as Knight of St Gregory
The Knights of St Columba celebrated their National Memorial Mass for deceased members at the Metropolitan Cathedral on Saturday 12 June. The Mass is held every two years and this was the Mass originally scheduled for 2020 but postponed owing to the Covid-19 pandemic. Admission was by prior booking and 175 people – members and their families – attended, with many more watching the live broadcast on YouTube and Facebook.
During the Mass, supreme knight Bertie Grogan announced that a donation of £3,000 had been made for the upkeep of the Cathedral’s Columba Chapel. In response, Canon Tony O’Brien, the Cathedral Dean, thanked the KSC not only for the donation but also for the help that those based locally provide in the Cathedral all year round.
Brother Bertie was recently made a Knight of St Gregory and he was the subject of a special presentation by Archbishop Malcolm McMahon, thanking him for all he had done for the Order and conveying the blessing of the Holy Father.
• Continuing our series on the centenary of local KSC councils, Brother John Hamilton – a past provincial grand knight – gives an account of how Council 18 Widnes was formed:
In 1921 a group of Catholic gentlemen in Widnes applied to the supreme knight of the KSC for permission to form a council. The application was made by Mr P Caldwell together with 13 other men, following the first supreme council meeting to be held in England, at St George’s Hall in Liverpool. The supreme council discussed the application and decided that a new council could be formed in Widnes and would join the other new English councils (9, 12, 13 and 14) in the newly formed Province 2 (Liverpool).
The Widnes group took the name Council No18, and on 29 May 1921 the charter was signed and issued with the names of their chaplain, Rev Fr F Mulholland, and the officers and the positions they would hold.
Websites: www.ksc.org.uk /www.kscprov02.weebly.com